Welcome to Bakers for Change!
Thank you so much for your interest in participating in our Bakers for Change Bake Sale, with proceeds going to the Asian Americans Advancing Justice- Asian Law Caucus. Since the pandemic began, there have been at least 2,808 incidents of anti-Asian hate in America. It is crucial to practice allyship and solidarity, and to remember that anti-racism must include Asians. We invite you to make a change with us by contributing to AAAJ- Asian Law Caucus.
"Founded in 1972, Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus is the nation’s first legal and civil rights organization serving the low-income Asian Pacific American communities. Advancing Justice – ALC focuses on housing rights, immigration and immigrants’ rights, labor and employment issues, student advocacy (ASPIRE), civil rights and hate violence, national security, and criminal justice reform. As a founding affiliate of Asian Americans Advancing Justice, the organization also helps to set national policies in affirmative action, voting rights, Census and language rights.
Since the vast majority of Asians and Pacific Islanders in America are immigrants and refugees, Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus strives to create informed and educated communities empowered to assert their rights and to participate actively in American society. This perspective is reflected in our broad strategy which integrates the provision of legal services, educational programs, community organizing initiatives and advocacy."
For this bake sale, we are anticipating a date to bid off baked goods via instagram on March 25th, but feel free to use a date that works for you. We are asking bakers to donate directly to AAAJ and to send us a screenshot of the donation and fill out the Google Form so can keep track of the total amount of money we collectively raise!
Please make sure that if you do choose to bake, that you follow proper social distancing protocols when arranging for drop offs/pick ups of your baked goods! Wear a mask and gloves while you bake to keep the bidders safe.
Here is what we suggest:
- Pick a baked good to raffle off! This can be a message cake, cookies, a pie, a loaf of bread - whatever you love to bake. With Christmas around the corner, you can also choose to auction off a custom baked good that your winner can pick up for a later date for a holiday celebration. You can also have set price items, for example: a dozen cookies or treat boxes for a certain price if you do not want open bidding.
- Post it on your Instagram with instructions to bid via comments on the post.
- Tag @bakersforchange on Instagram so that we can promote your bake!
- Keep the bidding open for a pre-determined amount of time - we recommend 24-48 hours.
- At the close of the bidding, the highest bid wins! Contact that person directly to arrange pick-up or delivery of the baked good.
- Log how much money you received from the winner in the Google Form.
- Send a screenshot of the donation to Bakers for Change.
- Feel good about raising money for a great cause!
You can also participate by simply making something with a message that encourages your followers to vote and/or donate. You can also participate in a more of a bake sale style: make your desserts at set prices for your followers!
No amount is too big, or too small. The important thing is raising awareness for a cause that you believe in. If you are not interested in participating in a bid, please still feel free to bake for awareness.