Thank you so much for your interest in participating in our Bakers for Change Bake Sale, with proceeds going to March For Our Lives. The United States sees the most school shootings in the world. One study found that nearly one-third of the world's public mass shootings between 1966 and 2012 (90 of 292 incidents) occurred in the United States.
As March for Our Lives states: "In the days after the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, we knew we had to make sure that what happened to our community never happens again.
We cannot allow one more person to be killed by senseless gun violence. We cannot allow one more person to experience the pain of losing a loved one. We cannot allow one more family to wait for a call or a text that never comes. We cannot allow the normalization of gun violence to continue. We must create a safe and compassionate nation for all of us.
March For Our Lives is on a journey to truly support and center the people and communities most impacted by gun violence. Shifting resources through mutual aid is just one way of doing that. We are launching Aid & Alliance, a resource sharing program that will distribute nearly $500k to support anti-violence work led by BIPOC youth organizations and activists on the ground. The spirit of aid and alliance extends beyond this individual program—it is the guiding vision that will carry us forward in 2021."
For this bake sale, we are anticipating a date to bid off baked goods via instagram on May 6th, but feel free to use a date that works for you. We are asking bakers to donate directly to March For Our Lives and to send us a screenshot of the donation and fill out the Google Form so can keep track of the total amount of money we collectively raise!
Please make sure that if you do choose to bake, that you follow proper social distancing protocols when arranging for drop offs/pick ups of your baked goods! Wear a mask and gloves while you bake to keep the bidders safe.
Here is what we suggest:
- Pick a baked good to raffle off! This can be a message cake, cookies, a pie, a loaf of bread - whatever you love to bake. You can also choose to auction off a custom baked good that your winner can pick up for a later date for a holiday celebration. You can also have set price items, for example: a dozen cookies or treat boxes for a certain price if you do not want open bidding.
- Post it on your Instagram with instructions to bid via comments on the post.
- Tag @bakersforchange on Instagram so that we can promote your bake!
- Keep the bidding open for a pre-determined amount of time - we recommend 24-48 hours.
- At the close of the bidding, the highest bid wins! Contact that person directly to arrange pick-up or delivery of the baked good.
- Log how much money you received from the winner in the Google Form.
- Send a screenshot of the donation to Bakers for Change.
- Feel good about raising money for a great cause!
You can also participate by simply making something with a message that encourages your followers to vote and/or donate. You can also participate in a more of a bake sale style: make your desserts at set prices for your followers!
No amount is too big, or too small. The important thing is raising awareness for a cause that you believe in. If you are not interested in participating in a bid, please still feel free to bake for awareness.
Bakers for Change is an organization founded by five like-minded women, who felt increasing concern over the current political climate in the United States. We wanted a way to enact change through baking, and using our platforms. We are currently focused on the 2020 election and are organizing bake-sales and virtual baking classes to raise money for various organizations aimed at increased access to voting. We feel passionate about using voting (and baking!) as a tool to support our environment, improve our healthcare and education systems, and protect marginalized groups.